We are very excited to announce that we are participating in Google Summer of Code (GSoC), a summer program for university students to learn about, and get involved in open source. Applying to participate with the Academy Software Foundation provides a great opportunity for students who are interested in learning about open source software development for the motion picture industry, especially for visual effects and animation.
Students who are selected to work with the Foundation will be paired with mentors from our projects who work for companies including Imageworks, Pixar, Netflix, Industrial Light & Magic, NVIDIA, Google, and more! These mentors will provide guidance while you work on specific tasks for our projects. It’s not an internship, but you will receive a stipend, and you’ll get to network with leading software engineers and developers while gaining exposure to open source software development for visual effects and animation.
Each of our projects has put together a list of suggested ideas and tasks for you to choose from or you can propose a new task that crosses projects or relates to the common infrastructure shared by the projects:
- OpenColorIO: A complete color management solution that provides a consistent user experience across digital content creation applications. GSoC project ideas.
- OpenCue: A Python-based, fully featured render management / job queueing system you can deploy for visual effects and animation productions. GSoC project ideas.
- OpenEXR: A high dynamic-range (HDR) image file format for high-quality image processing and storage, the professional-grade image storage format of the motion picture industry. GSoC project ideas.
- OpenTimelineIO: An API and interchange format for editorial timeline information supporting clips, timing, tracks, transitions, markers, and metadata. GSoC project ideas.
- OpenVDB: A hierarchical data structure and a suite of tools for the efficient storage and manipulation of volumetric representations such as water/liquid simulations, animated volumes, and environmental effects like clouds and ice. GSoC project ideas.
- Open Shading Language: The de facto standard shading and pattern language of physically-based renderers used for film VFX and animation.
The application period is open now and runs through March 31. Full instructions on how to apply to work with the Foundation are available here: Academy Software Foundation: Google Summer of Code. If you have any questions, you can email us here.
We look forward to reviewing your proposals!