After two years of virtual events, we were excited to bring the community together again for Open Source Days 2022 at SIGGRAPH in Vancouver. Close to 250 people attended Open Source Days in-person or virtually to hear about new developments in open source software, share ideas and engage with the broader ASWF community.
Ahead of Open Source Days, we were pleased to announce four new Academy Software Foundation projects and two new members:
- OpenFX: an industry-standard image processing plug-in originally managed by the Open Effects Association.
- Digital Production Example Library (DPEL): for hosting and publishing production-grade sample content including the American Society of Cinematographer’s Standard Evaluation Material II (StEM2) and Animal Logic’s ALab Phase 2.
- OpenAssetIO: an interoperability standard between tools and asset management systems for content creation pipelines, developed by Foundry.
- Open Review Initiative: a brand new project to build a unified toolset for playback, review and approval, with initial contributions coming from Autodesk, DNEG and Sony Pictures Imageworks.
- Canonical and Khronos Group joined as new ASWF members.
Other Open Source Days highlights included:
- Rob Bredow, SVP, Executive Creative Director and Head of ILM, sat down for a USD discussion with Steve May, CTO of Pixar, during the keynote on the first day. Watch the recording here.
- Nick Cannon presented the VFX Linux Task Force’s findings and recommendations for how to secure a healthy, sustainable future for Linux on professional artist workstations for VFX and animation. The recording is available here.
- A DreamWorks Animation presentation on MoonRay, following their announcement to release their MoonRay renderer as open source software later this year. Watch the discussion here.
- ASWF project updates on OpenColorIO, OpenTimelineIO, MaterialX and Open Shading Language, OpenEXR, OpenVDB, OpenCue and rawtoaces.
- Presentations by the ASWF Working Groups for Diversity & Inclusion, USD, CI and Rust.
- OpenColorIO received the Pipeline Tool of the Year Award at The Pipeline Conference – congrats!
- More than 280 people attended our Beers of a Feather social event.
- We unveiled the new ASWF Sizzle Reel.
For those who were unable to make it, all of the recorded presentations are online at the ASWF YouTube channel.
Thanks to all of our speakers and everyone who contributed to make this event a success!